Dongnae-gu belonged to Geochilsanguk in Samhan era, to Dongnae-gun in Silla era, to Dongnae-hyeon in Goryeo and to Dongnae-bu in Joseon era and covered almost every part of present Busan Metropolitan City area. It was merged into the Busan-bu in 1910 with the establishment of Busan-bu and revived as Dongnae-gun in 1914 and covered Yeonje, Haeundae, Geumjeong, Buk, Sasang, Saha, Busanjin, and Suyeong-gu but it was merged into Busan with the establishment of Busan-bu Dongnae branch office in 1942 and it has been maintained up to now.
As Dongnae was merged into Busan and growed in its scale, including so many cultural assets, Dongnae spa, and Geumgang Park, it became the center of education and transportation of Busan Metropolitan City. To meet the growing tasks, Dongnae-gu split Suyeong branch and Haeundae branch office into the branch office under direct control of Busan city in 1975 and 1976. The Geumjeong-gu was divided from Dongnae-gu in 1988 and the Yeonje-gu was divided from Dongnae-gu on Mar.1, 1995. As we surveyed, the Dongnae-gu is very famous for its long history and tradition.